There are affiliate links in this post
There are many different ways to travel and it is my desire that the thousands of you who read this blog (THANK YOU!) gets the chance to travel. Everyone has a different style and budget, and these are 10 helpful ways you can travel cheap without compromising your experiences or fun!
10 Ways To Travel Cheap
- Look at doors/architecture
- Ride the bus.
- picnic in the park
- bring snacks from home/buy from grocery store
- Buy wine from store instead of in restaurant
- Walk instead of taking public transportation
- Check out free city tours
- Download a free city tour app
- Turn off data and only use WiFi
- rent a room in someone’s house.
Here is a breakdown of the 10 things you can do to travel cheap and still have a fabulous time in your destination.
1. Look at doors/architecture
- Sometimes when I’m visiting a city I’ll just walk around looking at doors and architecture. Each city has such a variety of both and it’s a wonderful way to see gems of the city without spending any money.
2. Ride the bus
- most buses have windows where you can clearly see out. hop on the bus at the beginning of the line so you can get a seat and ride it until the end, you will see tons of things you wouldn’t normally get to see and it will only cost you a bus ride!
3. picnic in the park
- Instead of eating evey meal in a restaurant, get a few things from the local bakery and enjoy food in a beautiful park. Most people travel with a smart phone (which has music) and if you have a travel blanket you are all set. This is a money saver!
4. Bring your snacks from home
- By bringing your snacks from home, you will immediately save money. You can get all kinds of snacks from your favorite grocery store before you leave and pack them in your carry-on. You can also go to a local grocery store while on vacation and purchase some goodies. Bars, candy, pretzels…etc make great snacks. Carry them in a cute bag and you’re all set!
5. Buy a bottle of wine instead of buying glasses of wine with your meal
- Whether you have a hotel room or rent an apartment you can buy a bottle of wine and enjoy it as you unwind at the end of your day.
6. Walk instead of taking public transportation
- It may not always be possible, but if you stay as close to the center of town as possible you can probably save yourself lots of money by walking to many attractions. By doing this you will also see all types of interesting sights along the way and get in a bit of exercise! And if you’re gonna walk, you may as well strut!
7. See if the city offers free walking tours
- Many cities now have free walking tours and all you have to do is tip the tour guide. The tours are usually very informative and even with a generous tip you are spending fa less money than you normally would if you booked an expensive tour. Save up to 50% off combined prices for admission to must-see attractions with CityPASS. Shop now!
8. download a free city tour app
- There are many free app at your disposal for taking tours around the city.
9. Turn off data and only use WiFi
- whatsapp will be your best friend when you travel as you can use it to make phone calls, send video, pics and texts. It can work on Wifi so make sure to turn off your data so you won’t be charged any extra fees. By using WiFi when it’s available you can use the Internet without worry. I had a travel colleague come home to a $1,200 phone bill. Don’t let that happen to you.
10. Rent a room in someone’s home
- This is usually much cheaper than staying in a hotel. By renting a room you still get a nice space and usually access to the kitchen (which means you can prepare some meals if you choose) and you don’t have to eat out for every meal which will save tons of money.
There you have it, 10 ways to travel cheap. Do you have any suggestions? Have you done any of these things?